I started my gluten free journey about a month ago. I had been having chronic pain in my abdomen for some time and it was a last ditch effort to alleviate it. Unfortunately… um… fortunately I mean, it worked. I have been true to the diet, although it has been hard!
The best part of the change, is trying new things in the kitchen. I especially like to try new things for breakfast. I will generally eat way more veggies and variety than my children. So breakfast is a time I can experiment with no upturned noses.
Which brings me to my Avo Toast Supreme. It is bright, it is fresh, and it is good for you! It has loads of good fats with a thick spread of creamy avocado, and just a little bit of indulgence with a crispy piece of bacon. I hope you enjoy this simple breakfast recipe as much as I did.
Avo Toast Supreme
1 slice gluten free bread. (I used Millet and Chia bread from Little Northern Bakehouse)
1/2 of a small avocado
1/2 c baby spinach leaves
1 clove of garlic, minced
4 cherry or grape tomatoes (halved)
Garlic powder (optional)
hot sauce (optional)
- Toast the bread if desired. If it is frozen, you can toast just to thaw it.
- Spread the avocado over the bread, sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic powder if desired, and set aside.
- In a small skillet, cook the bacon until it is crisp. Remove bacon and set aside to drain.
- Wipe out the skillet and add the egg on one side. After a few minutes, when the egg starts to firm up, flip it, breaking the yoke if desire. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Add garlic to the other side and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add spinach to garlic and stir until wilted. Sprinkle with a little salt.
- Layer spinach, tomato halves, crumbled bacon, and the fried egg on top of the avocado toast. Top with hot sauce if you are feeling spicy.