Three more days until I can reveal the big surprise. Everything was all but finalized today. I did some preemptive shopping. Like I need an excuse to shop, but I’ll take any chance I can get.
Since I am going to keep you waiting, I have a surprise for you.
Crunchy pecans, tart cherries, and sweet pineapple. Perhaps the best dessert on earth. Since I became gluten free, I thought it was dead to me. The other day at the store, I threw caution to the wind and decided that I was going to attempt my first GF experiment.
So, I bought all the ingredients for a cherry pineapple dump cake and decided I would test my experiment on my entire family on Memorial Day. I mean, what better time to make something you’ve never made before… I doubted it would turn out, so I took zero pictures of ingredients or steps. I can’t make it again, because then I’ll have to eat it again. I most definitely want to eat it again, but… it is bathing suit season people. Despite my nervousness, this recipe was given high marks by all who ate it.
Without further ado…
Gluten Free Cherry Pineapple Dump Cake
1 Yellow gluten free cake mix. (I used Betty Crocker)
1 20 oz can of crushed pineapple
1 can of cherry pie filling
1 cup of chopped pecans (who am I kidding, I used at least a cup and a half… rebel up in here)
1 stick unsalted butter
Optional: Cool whip, ice cream, or whipped cream.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 13×9 baking pan with cooking spray.
- Pour in the pineapple with juice and spread evenly.
- Distribute the cherry pie filling evenly over the pineapples.
- Sprinkle the dry cake mix evenly over the top (Yes dry, it’s fine. And the name of the game is clearly evenly here.)
- Sprinkle the chopped pecans…. you guessed it… evenly over the dry cake mix.
- Slice the butter in thin slices and place EVENLY over the top.
- Bake for 50 minutes. Check it at 40 and if it is brown, it’s done.
- Top with something creamy. Cool whip is my vice of choice, but you could use actual whip cream, vanilla ice cream or maybe even plain Greek yogurt if super sweet is not your thing. Serve warm.
- Store leftovers, if that is possible, in the fridge and warm in the microwave for 30 seconds.
There it is. Easy and oh so delicious. I just had my fourth helping. There is one left in the container, and I am hiding it at the back of the fridge. The children will have to fight me for it!